Thursday, July 23, 2009

White House Press Corp

Mark Plotkin hit it right on the head, as I made this point earlier. I hope others notice and begin doing their job as reporters. But I'm not holding my breath.

What's the deal with the White House press corps?

WASHINGTON - What's the deal with the White House press corps?

That's what WTOP Political Commentator Mark Plotkin wants to know.

Plotkin is challenging the status quo in his morning commentary.

His commentary is transcribed below:

Last night the President had a press conference. But where was the press? I know they were sitting in their designated seats politely waiting to be selected to ask a question.

They all know the drill. The president has prepared for him a short list of the annointed few. They get to stand up, speak in the microphone and have their 15 seconds of fame.

I don't fault the President for trying to control the press. But I ask you, why does the press go along? There is not one moment of spontaneity. The questioners are tipped off, in advance, by the White House and they behave accordingly.

No. Not one questions about Iraq. Not one questions about Afghanistan, where American troops have had the worst month of fatalities in eight years. These guys, and women, are not journalists. They're enablers.

No comments:

Post a Comment