Thursday, April 30, 2009

Parsing my Senator's reply to my letter

Folks--

It only took Senator Webb's office about four weeks to reply to my letter imploring him to vote "No" on the Barry Bailouts; but to no surprise, here's what I received--of course, my name was redacted from his reply.  It's now indisputable that he took an oath to screw the public, vice to make good with his tenure.  Moreover, does he just contravene every principle that Reagan tried to impart on America?  To that, I must ask the simple question: WTF!??!?!

--------MSG STARTS BELOW---------
 
Dear JoePa for POTUS: 

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the ongoing economic crisis and the federal government's response. I appreciate your taking the time to share your concerns with me.

 

The United States is facing an economic crisis that is causing American families to fall behind. Communities are being hard hit by home foreclosures, failing businesses, and job losses that are almost unprecedented in recent history. As your U.S. Senator, I am committed to supporting policies that will help end the economic crisis and will help restore basic fairness for all Americans.

It is for this reason that I supported the bi-partisan American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (H.R. 1).This economic recovery package is designed to swiftly drive money into our struggling economy. With help for struggling families, meaningful tax cuts and concentrated funding on key infrastructure programs, I am hopeful that this responsibly-crafted legislation will create millions of new jobs and begin immediately to restore America's economic strength.

 

Furthermore, I believe that a critical part of any successful strategy to restore prosperity and economic growth must be to reverse the collapse of the housing market. It is in the interest of all Americans to reduce foreclosures, which depress housing prices for all homeowners and diminish the health of communities. To this end, we must pursue policies which benefit hardworking homeowners who faithfully pay their mortgages, while addressing the current housing market crisis and the improvements needed in the banking industry. As the Senate considers legislation on these issues, be assured that I will keep your concerns in mind.

 

While the current economic crisis has demanded action, I also strongly believe that the federal government must control spending and reduce the federal budget deficit. This includes reprioritizing which programs receive federal money, so that the Congress encourages basic fairness to working people. Before voting, my staff and I consider the fiscal implications of all legislation and try to ensure that it meets the needs of Virginians.

 

For example, I am proud of my vote in favor of the congressional budget resolution for the United States Government (S. Con. Res. 13). The budget was passed against the backdrop of one of the worst recessions in this nation's history and while imperfect it reflects that harsh reality. The budget is fiscally responsible, reversing a trend of mounting debt over the past eight years. At the same time, the new budget will extend middle-class tax cuts, fund a strong national defense, improve veterans' health care, expand children's health care, and increase investment in education.

 

Congress has a constitutional role to play in assembling the federal budget, and the process should be conducted with transparency. I support appropriations projects for the Commonwealth of Virginia based on two principle factors; first, they must represent a wise and prudent investment of tax dollars. Such projects include those which foster economic development, educational excellence, national security, public health, scientific research, and the development of our nation's rich cultural and environmental resources. Second, I only sponsor projects that enjoy public support and that are considered in an open, transparent manner. For information on Virginia appropriations projects, please visit the Appropriations Bills section at www.thomas.gov.

 

As the United States Senate continues to address these important issues facing our nation, please be assured that your views will be very helpful to me and my staff. I hope that you will continue to share your views with us in the years ahead.

I would also invite you to visit my website at www.webb.senate.gov for regular updates about my activities and positions on matters that are important to Virginia and our nation.

Thank you once again for contacting my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment